Bengaluru, 16th Jan, 2019:
The Central Electricity Research Institute (CPRI) is the largest component of the Indian power industry and its headquarters are in Bangalore.
The organization celebrated its 59th foundation day on January 16, 2019 at Bangalore’s office. – Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial
Lecture as part celebration. Shri. M. R. S. Rao Padmashree Awardee, general of the Center for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, presented a lecture on “The Human Genome shaping the future of Mankind” Lecture was well received by the scientific community. And admired. In the country, the growing power needs of the growing power sector and C. P. R. I. The role of director Mr. Shri. V. S. Nandakumar presented.
C. P. R. I. It is working hard to improve the product development and quality of the country’s power industry, working as an independent authority for electrical testing and certification.
CONTRIBUTIONS OF CENTRAL POWER RESEARCH INSTITUTE (CPRI) TO THE INDIAN POWER SECTOR Central Power Research Institute (CPRI) was ostablished in Bangalore and Bhopal by the Government of India in 1960. It became an Autonomous Society in the year 1978 under the aegis of the Ministry of Power, Govemment of India. Today, the Institute is 59 years old and has offered services for over five decades to the Power Sector
The activities of CPRI cover
a) Applied Research in electrical power engineering
b) Testing & Certification of Power equipment
c) Consultancy and Field testing services to Power Utilities and Industry
d) Third Party Inspection and Vendor Analysis
e) Organising Customized Train ing programs for Utilities and Industries.
The headquarters of the Institute is in Bangalore and its units are located at Bhopal, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Noida, Kolkata and Guwahati. The Bhopal Unit which was set up simultaneously along with the Bangalore Unit has exclusive facilities for Testing of Transformers and Switchgear. The unit at Hyderabad established in 1993 caters to Ultra High Voltage Research and evaluation. The unit a Nagpur established in 1993 caters to solving problems faced by the Thermal Power sector Noida setup in 1992 caters to testing of Low and Medium voltage equipment for the Northern region. The Units at Kolkata and Guwahati, serving the Eastern and North-eastern regions, which were set up in 2005 and 2007 respectively have facilities for testing of Transformer oil.
* ISO/IEC 17023: 2005redited by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) Traceable to international bodies like International Laboratory Accreditation Co-operation (ILAC) and Asia Pacific Laboratory Accreditation Co-operation (APLAC)
* Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
* Intertek-ASTA, UK
* ISO 9001:2016 Certification for Research and Consultancy activities
*Member of the Short Circuit Testing Liaison (STL)
*Corporate member on DLMS UA (Device Language Message Specification User Association) and UCA IUG (Utility Communication Architecture International User Group)
* Approved by INMETRO Brazil as a third party testing laboratory for Brazil Energy Labeling Program on transformers,
* Approved by Electricity Water Authority (EWA), Kingdom of Bahrain Directorate (EDD) as an Independent testing and Certification Body
* Association with Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) for testing of LV equipment
* Association with TUV Rheinland India Pvt. Ltd. for testing and certification Electricity Distribution.
Contributions of CPRI to the Nation/Power Industry:
* The greatest contribution of the Institute is its unstinted efforts in aiding the development of the in the country and contribution to Technology development through evaluation Electrical industry f power equipment since 1960s. The facilities have been augmented in tune with the needs and of 50 MVA to cater to the growth of the power sector. Initially the Short circuit facility had a capacity ment of LV (Low Voltage) equipment in 1960s’, later it has graduated to 1500 MVA and 2500 . Similarly the High Voltage facility started MVA capacities for testing equipment of 400kV rating with tests for 1200k 1 1kV rating, then graduated to 400 kV, 800kV and the Institute has facilities for testing V rated equipment. CPRI played a vital role in development of electrical industries in India
* The Institute has completed over 300 R&D projects and has more than 70 Patents over the years. Many of them have been commercialized. To its credit, the Institute has published over 2000 technical and Research papers in National & International fora. Both general and Customized Training programmes are being conducted and the Institute has trained over 10000 personnel over the years.
* The Institute coordinates projects undertaken under the Research Scheme on Power involving Academia /Industry and Power Utilities including the projects under the National Perspective Plan.
* CPRI had conducted more than 150 National International Conferences on frontier topics for dissemination of knowledge to all stakeholders,
* Contributions cover Power System studies, Energy Audits for utilities, Remaining Life Assessment (RLA), Life Extension studies of Thermal & Hydro power plants, etc.
* Management Consultant for establishment of National High Power Test facility (NHPTL) for testing large Power Transformers in Bina, Madhya Pradesh.
Services rendered to karnataka
The Institute has made various contributions to the state of Karnataka, important among them are
a) CPRI is the nodal agency for the research projects awarded to IISc-Bangalore , SIT-Tumkur, NIT Suratkal, MS Ramaiah College, RV College heiping the researchers to carry out research in latest technologies
b) CPRI is also the nodal agency for monitoring the projects under UAY, IMPRINT awarded to IISc- Bangalore
c) CPRI has carried out many tests on the electrical equipment thereby helping the state utilities of Karnataka to ensure reliability and quality in the power system network.
d) CPRI has carried out pollution mapping with reference to High voltage transmission system which will help in choosing the insulators for different pollution conditions.
e) CPRI contributed as Technical committee member to review suggestion on alternate route for Mysore-Kozhikode 400 kV transmission line
f) CPRI carried out System Studies for finalizing the evacuation system for the proposed 2×660 MW Udupi Thermal Power Project
g) Project Management Consultancy services to BESCOM for the project Bangalore Distribution Upgradation Project.
h) Consultancy for vetting draft tender schedule for implementation of IMIS and SCADA to water supply scheme to Mysuru city
i) Pioneering work as Advisor-cum-Consultant for 3 states in the Accelerated Power Development Reforms Programme (APDRP) and presently TPIA-Energy Accounting in R-APDRP/IPDS project in h) Karnataka.
Planning for the future
The Institute engages itself in a constant dialogue with the Power Utilities and Industry for assessing the growing requirements of the Power Sector. The exercise has helped in identifying the gaps in CPRI facilities and accordingly the gaps are bridged with funding from Government of India under the Plan heme. It is proposed to add two more 2500MVA Short circuit Generators which will enhance the efficiency and also reduce the turnaround time for customers. Besides, equipment of higher rating can be tested with the addition of generators which will obliterate the need for going overseas for testing activity. Government of India has sanctioned Rs.1182.00 crores in the XII Five Year Plan for augmenting the existing facilities and establishing new test facilities. To name a few: .
*Augmentation of High Power Short Circuit Test facilities by installation of two additional MVA Generators and associated equipment .
*Establishment of 350MVA Online Short Circuit Test Station at UHV Research Laboratory Hyderabad
*Establishment of New Test facilities and New Testing Centers .
Today, CPRI is one of the largest Research and Testing Houses in the world with a gamut of facilities under one roof. As far as evaluation of power equipment alone is concerned, CPRI is one among the largest laboratories in the world. The vision of CPRI is to emerge globally as the single largest service provicler and the leading Research institute in the next 10 years. In this context, action plan has been drawn up to plug the gaps in facilities, upgrade the technical manpower skills and focus on Customer Satisfaction.
City Today News