Stem Cell donors came forward to motivate and encourage others to register as stem cell donors and join the fight against blood cancer and disorders
14 September 2022 , Bengaluru : Ahead of World Marrow Donor Day , blood stem Cell donors from Bangalore came forward and narrated their experience of saving the life of a blood cancer patient , and how life transforming the experience has been for them . They also requested others to join the fight against blood cancer and blood disorders by registering as potential stem cell donors and possibly help someone to live . DKMS BMST Foundation India organized an event to mark World Marrow Donor Day which falls on the 3rd Saturday of September . To mark this day ,
DKMS BMST Foundation India felicitated the donors Shaina , Arushit , Debraj , Daniel and Suresh who were lucky to have donated their blood stem cells recently and have become proud lifesavers .
Patrick Paul , CEO , DKMS BMST Foundation India , said , ” As per the World Marrow Donor Association , there are over 40 million donors registered across the globe . Only 0.5 million of these are from India . In India , there is a huge demand and supply gap in patient looking for stem cell transplant from a matching donor . Only 30 % of the patients are able to get matching stem cell from their family members the rest 70 % of the patients are looking for a matching unrelated donor . India is an ancient population with a diverse ethnicity , therefor it becomes very important that more and more people from varied ethnic background to come forward to register as a stem cell donor . Today , only 0.04 % of the total population is registered as a potential blood stem cell donor . “
Over 27500 , people have already registered in Karnataka with DKMS – BMST donor stem cell registry and over 70000 all over India . The foundation has also facilitated 67 blood stem cell transplants in the last three years across India ..
First female donor from DKMS – BMST Dr. Shaina said ” It has been a truly marvelous experience of knowing that fact that I could save a life . The journey from getting the call from DKMS – BMST to the actual donation was very smooth . I was explained and guided each step of the way and all my queries very satisfactory answered . hopefully , I will meet the person I have helped soon . I feel good about this whole experience . “
Sharing his experience Debraj , a techie from Bengaluru said ” I am elated at the fact that my stem cell donation was able to help someone live , and it motivates and inspires me to do more for others in life . Giving someone a second chance at life is deeply satisfying feeling . I would like to also thank DKMS – BMST for a wonderful experience through the whole process . This is once in a life opportunity , not everyone can say that they have saved a life . Let us all come together in large numbers to register as stem cell donors and give hope of life to others . “
Dr. Sunil Bhat , Director & Clinical Lead , Pediatric Hematology , Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation , Narayana Health said , ” India has a very high burden of blood cancer and disorder patients , who due to the lack of potential matching donor are looking at a bleak future . Today , treating and managing blood cancer and blood disorder is possible with a stem cell transplant . Blood stem cell transplant is typically a procedure that replaces unhealthy bone marrow cells of the patient with healthy cells . Peripheral blood stem cell is collected from the donor via a similar process to blood platelet donation . “
Patrick Paul , said , ” I express my gratitude to the brave men and women who have come forward and contributed to our fight against blood cancer and blood disorder . Today , their experiences of saving a life can inspire countless individuals to become stem cell donors . Each life is precious and so many lives can be saved with the medical technology and treatment available today , the need of the hour is for the people to come ahead to register and help patients get a second chance at life . “
Patrick Paul , further added , ” DKMS registry is organizing an international symposium on 23rd and 24th September at Bengaluru . The symposium aims to raise awareness , deliberate on latest research in the field of stem cell transplantation and how DKMS as an international registry is helping blood cancer patients with second chances at life . Transplant physician , hematologists , and transplant coordinator from across India and Germany would be participating in the symposium . “
City Today News