INDIAN JOURNALISTS UNION (NEW DELHI) Indian Journalists Union (JU) will be holding a two day National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting at Reva University, Bengaluru from 6th and 7h July 2019. Around 80 members Journalists are expected to participate. Current and burning issues confronting the Journalists will be deliberated.
The opening session will be inaugurated by Sri. P Shyama Raju, Chancellor, Reva University on 6h July 2019. Formal NEC Meeting will be held after Inauguration function.
The Indian Journalists Union (JU), the largest and most representative organisation of working Journalists in the country founded in 1989 inheriting the best traditions of the professional and trade union movement of the working Journalists in the country, JU emerged as the most authentic and true voice of practitioners of journalism at national level. It has affiliated unions ir 27 states spread over from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and from Meghalaya to Tripura to Maharashtra and Goa.
Affiliated to the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), the IJU is also represented on its Executive Committee. It has three members in the Press Council of India. Committed to value – based journalism, the IJU is always in the forefront to promote the code of ethics prescribed by the Press Council. It also took up issues like gender justice and development journalism and conducted several workshops and seminars.
SALIENT FEATURES OF JU- DEFENDING PRESS FREEDOM AND JOURNALISTS RIGHTS
The Indian Journalists Union (JU), founded in 1990, is the largest and most representative professional and trade union organisation of working journalists in the country.
* Twenty- eight State Journalists Unions affiliated and having total membership of more than 26,000 journalists from both print and electronic media including editors, senior journalists senior photo journalists and rural journalists.
* In forefront to defend media freedom and journalists’ rights; mobilises democratic and civil society forces towards this end.
* Representation in Central Accreditation Committee of Union 1&B Ministry and State Accreditation Committees across the country
* Key representation in Press Council of India; of seven members in Working Journalists other than Editors’ category, IJU has three members.
* Affiliate of International Federation of Journalists (IFJ): JU nominee elected to world body Executive Committee for five consecutive terms.
* Forging regional ties; MOUS with Sudanese Journalists Union and Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists
* Only Union to support cause of mofussil journalists by submitting separate memoranda to successive Wage Board.
First whistle blower on menace of ‘paid news’ a term coined by it. Forced Government and Election Commission of India to take note and act.
City Today News